Monday, January 23, 2012

Time to Change Things Up


I found out recently that I'm the heaviest I've ever been in six years: 175 lbs. I had a feeling for a while I had gained some weight because I just felt bigger. All I have to say about that is, "Not good."

Some of you may be thinking, "So what? 175 lbs is not heavy." Well, for me, I have a small frame, so any pound I gain is noticeable and since I'm not 6" or 6"1, 175 lbs. it also makes me start to look like a bodybuilder and not an underwear model. I don't want to be a bodybuilder. My goal is to get back to my "normal" weight, 165 lbs.

Six years ago, my weight had gone up to 177/178 lbs. Up until that point I had been lifting weights, doing low weight with high repetitions. That regimen kept me lean and cut but then all of a sudden I began putting on muscle after muscle after muscle until I was almost 180 lbs. That much weight isn't a good look for me, so I dropped using weights altogether for my upper body and started doing calisthenics and temporarily added cardio. This got me back down to 165 lbs. and kept me there for the past six years.

So, time to switch things up. I've taken off the gym for two weeks, I've decided to do just 20 minutes of cardio for the next couple of weeks and then when I resume calisthenics to lower the amount of reps I do. This should help me lost 10 lbs. I was initially bothered a lot by this weight gain, but I realize life's about stepping up to your challenges, and I'm up to the task!

No comments:

Post a Comment