Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First Photo Shoot for Upcoming Video Project Completed!


Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on here. Well, things are slowly starting to heat up so you're going to be hearing more of me.

After I came back in August from a very fruitful trip to Miami where I spent a month, I was on a high over accomplishing so many of my goals over the past year, facing my fears and stepping out of my comfort zone. However, I also knew that it wasn't good to rest on my laurels, that instead, I had to decide what I wanted to do next.

After some prayer and and conversations with my mentor, PSCOTT, CEO and Creative Director of PSCOTT Images a month later I decided the next step I needed to take was a video project to continue to promote the brand of Ike Love.

I have to admit, the project took a while to start because frankly......I didn't have the money. Really, all I could do is hold meetings to see who I wanted to be on the team for this project and who I could pass on.

In any case, I'm pleased to announce that I've finally begun the project with a photo shoot a week and a half ago (Friday 10/21/11) with Gabriel Velez.

Gabriel Velez, a black and white photography lover, is a renowned photographer whose work has been published, and exhibited in museums and galleries both nationally and internationally. He is originally from Colombia but is now based in New York City. You can see more of his work on his website.

We met quite "randomly" (ha ha) at the Jazz @ Lincoln Center Cafe in the Upper West Side. Myself and PSCOTT were having a meeting where we were updating his web site and going over my photos and we happened to be sharing the same table with Velez. Velez overheard our conversation and introduced himself as a photographer and lo and behold, after seeing his portfolio, he turned out to be just the person I was looking for. This was a true testament if you give your path over to God, He'll surely open doors for you.

The shoot took place about a month later (we both had to find a date that fit our busy schedules) on the rooftop of my apartment building. Other a neighbour who lived on the floor directly below the roof asking questions, the shoot went off without a hitch. The real BIG challenge was that it was FREEZING outside with the wind blowing. I've never shot in weather so cold, and what made it more challenging was that I was in undies!

To get through the shoot, I truly had to put on a robe, go inside, drink some hot tea and warm up some before another round. This was the only way I could get through because I truly dislike the cold and get cold very easily.

Velez was truly very patient to shoot with. He was truly committed to giving me the best shots that reflected his unique eye and my unique look to form the perfect shot. He even had us say a prayer before the shoot just to make sure everything was aligned. It's interesting that unlike other photographers, he doesn't like the model to pose in ways that a model may choose to accentuate certain parts of his body/physique, etc. He felt that was too contrived. He'd rather the model stand natural to reflect the look and feel he was trying to create.

Stay tuned, more to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment